Prof Craig Waller
Specialising in surgery of the hip and knee
St Vincent's Clinic Sydney, Australia
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Head of the Division of Sports Medicine at The Australian School of Advanced Medicine
I have been in practice as a specialist orthopaedic surgeon for more than 25 years. I practise exclusively in the area of hip and knee surgery, specifically sports injuries and joint replacement.
- University of New South Wales
- Bachelor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Surgery
- Honours Class One
- UNSW University Medal
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and Head of the department of Sports Medicine, Australian School of Advanced Medicine, Macquarie University
- Wallace Wurth Prize for General Proficiency throughout the Medical Course
- Staff Association Prize for General Proficiency by a graduating Student in the Clinical Years
- Graduate Prize in Surgery
- The Gilbert Ashby Memorial Prize
- The C.V. Salisbury Memorial Prize
- The A.C. Thomas Memorial Prize
- The H.B. and R.L. Melville Prize
- The Keith Harrison Memorial Prize for Proficiency in Medicine,
Final Degree Examinations,
- UNSW University medal
- Zimmer Overseas Travelling Fellow
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Australian Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- International Society for Arthroscopy, Knee and Orthopaedic Sports Surgery (ISAKOS)
- International Cartilage Repair Society (ICRS)
- Australian Arthroplasty Society
- Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society
- Australian Medical Association
- The Neuromuscular Society
Current Hospital Appointments
- Visiting Orthopaedic Surgeon
St Vincent’s Private Hospital
- Macquarie University Hospital
The Prince of Wales Private Hospital
St Luke’s Private Hospital
- Honorary Orthopaedic Surgeon
The Prince of Wales Hospital
- Associate Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery and Head of the Department of Sports Medicine (Level D academic position)
Australian School of Advanced Medicine
Macquarie University Private Hospital
My particular areas of interest in orthopaedic surgery include:
- Arthroscopic surgery of the knee
- ACL reconstruction (over 5000 cases to date)
- Allograft ACL repair and reconstruction
- PCL and complex ligament reconstructions in the knee
- Sports surgery
- Cartilage replacement
- Knee replacement
- Partial knee replacement
- Hip replacement
- Dual mobility hip replacement
- Minimally invasive direct anterior hip replacement
- Tissue sparing mini hip replacement
- Computer assisted hip and knee replacement and robotically assisted surgery
- Patient specific knee replacement (Signature system)
I have a particular interest in treating injuries in athletes. In my 25 years in practice I have treated thousands of professional, Olympic, and recreational athletes. I understand what it takes to get professional and recreational athletes back to their pre-injury sporting level. During this time I have been actively involved in the surgical management of sportsmen and athletes from the following teams and organisations:
Rugby League, NRL competition:
- Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
- Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
- St George Illawarra Dragons
- Penrith Panthers
- Australian Kangaroos
- NSW Blues
- Australian Wallabies
- Sydney University Football Club, Consultant knee surgeon since 2002
- Eastern Suburbs Rugby Union Football Club
- Australian Women’s Rugby Team
Australian Rules Football, AFL competition:
- Sydney Swans
Basketball, NBL competition:
- Sydney Kings
- Sydney Razorbacks
- Consultant knee surgeon to the Sydney Olympic Games 2000
- Australian Cricket Team
- NSW Cricket Team
- Australian Women’s Cricket Team
- Thredbo Ski Patrol
- Perisher Valley Ski Patrol
- Thredbo Ski School (instructors)
- Perisher Valley Ski School (instructors)
- Scots College
Medical Education and Research
I have lectured and presented widely in Australia and overseas in the areas of sports surgery, joint replacement, minimally invasive surgery, partial joint replacement and computer assisted surgery.
I travel extensively to research new and improved methods of treatment and have been a demonstrator of surgical techniques to orthopaedic surgeons in the fields of knee surgery and joint replacement both in Australia and overseas.
I have a particular interest in orthopaedic development in Asia and am a founding member of The Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Association (APAS) which promotes the science of joint replacement in the Asia-Pacific region.
I have been a regular presenter and surgical demonstrator at the annual APAS joint replacement conferences since its inception in 1998.
I have been involved in surgical research for many years through laboratories and facilities in Australia, USA and Europe. I am currently engaged in some exciting research at the newly formed laboratories at The Australian School of Advanced Medicine at Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia.
I have published papers in sports surgery and other topics in the orthopaedic literature.
Design and Development of Orthopaedic Devices
I have long been engaged in the design and development of orthopaedic implants and devices.
Range of modular femoral heads for infinite adjustability of leg length and offset in hip replacement.
De Puy International, 2004-7
Freedom uni-compartmental knee replacement
Stryker Corporation, 2004-7
Interference screw for ACL fixation, 2003.
Minimally invasive total knee replacement instrument set
De Puy International. 2002.
Design and Development Teams
EAS (endoscopically assisted surgery) team. 2006-10
This team comprises 6 surgeons and several engineers and scientists who meet regularly in the USA to develop new and better ways to surgically treat injuries and conditions affecting the knee, utilising minimally invasive techniques.
GX1 team. 2006-10
This team comprises surgeons, engineers and scientists whose mission is to improve the early treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee.
Joint decompression device. 2006-10
Computer assisted unicondylar knee replacement. 2002-3
De Puy International
Interposition arthroplasty device for knee arthritis. 2003-4
Paragon hip replacement stem 2009-present
Global acetabular component for hip replacement 2010-present
Global mini hip stem 2014-present
Femoral neck preserving mini-hip replacement, the Silent Hip. 2006-14
De Puy International
Load bypass surgery with the Kinespring device, an innovative new treatment for knee arthritis in young patients.
Moximed Inc. 2007-present.
Collagen meniscal implant
Sulzer Corporation, 2002.
Device Technologies, 2002.
I have been happily married to Fiona for 29 years and have 4 children.
My non-medical intellectual interests include the following;
- Physics, specifically Quantum mechanics and cosmology
- Diploma in medical education from Macquarie University
My sporting and recreational activities include;
- Snow skiing
- Fresh and salt water fly fishing
I hope you find my website interesting and informative. Patients can be assured of my best attention at all times.
Professor Craig Waller February 2016
Level 4, 438 Victoria Street
Darlinghurst, NSW 2010
Suite 303, Level 3
2 Technology Place
Macquarie University, NSW 2109
- (02) 8382-6199
- (02) 8382 6198